Of Blood and Honey (The Fey and the Fallen, #1) - Stina Leicht I have to offer you all reading this, and my recent reviews, an apology because I am having one of my mental "episodes" and my writing and thinking are quite erratic. The doctor calls it neural degradation. I get confused really easily, and forget things as soon as I hear/read/see them. So my reviews are horrible when I'm going through it, sorry. :)

I'm feeling pretty cheated by this ending to be honest. There were SO many things that hadn't been explained, and even with an epilogue, I have no better understanding of it.

There is a great deal of things about this book that I didn't like, but I was able to enjoy the story (for the most part) despite that, and I think it might be because of my adoration of all things Irish. There are a lot of needless sentences and paragraphs that should have been culled, as well as missed details and bad transitions. This was also really long! I spent all day reading it yesterday and I still had 10% left to go yet.

The story begins with our main character, Liam, being wrongly imprisoned and thrown into the worst of the prisons; Long Kesh. While he only spends a few months there, it will forever change him in ways that are never resolved in this part of the story. It is here that he meets a huge wolfhound and realizes that he is not normal. He has a monster inside of him.

From there Liam goes home and makes a pact with his girlfriend to be wed when he has the ability to keep her, but he is once again thrown in jail. This time he spends a couple of years there.

After he is released he marries his girlfriend and begins life in Dublin during the war. He becomes one of the volunteer fighters, and this is the main focus of the entire book up to the fight with the bad guy in the supernatural world.

There was very, very, little by way of Fae/supernatural and I never understood the reason for the title. The honey in particular. There is also a incredible use of genuine Irish slang, or even regular, language and while I had to figure out the meanings I loved reading it. Like the trunk of a car is called a boot, and getting beaten is called a hiding, and killing (or maybe just shooting?) someone is called top. I did get a little frustrated by it, even as I loved it, because some things weren't easy for me to figure out their meanings. Like taig I gathered easily enough is some sort of derogatory term, but for what and how? There is also Irish spoken, and I always thought it was called Gaelic so that was neat to learn I was wrong, and mostly it is translated but a couple of times it wasn't. I actually went to see if the author was from Ireland because of the command of their slang, but she is from the US.

It was really disappointing that I didn't get to learn more about Liam's monster, or Bran even, but it would appear that information is left up to future novels. I still think that more could have been given about at least Liam though, and still had more than enough to cover for later. Liam got on my nerves many times as well because he failed to ask about anything! Like when his wife was ill he didn't have the common sense to figure it out, or wonder at what was really going on. His devotion to his wife made me melt, and I wish I could have gotten more of the two of them, and less of the conflict fighting.

All in all it was an okay book with lots of flaws, but there is potential here. It needs to be less heavy with the nonsense filler and more true to what the synopsis says it's about. If I am told I'm getting a book about Fey, I expect a book about Fey. In total fairness it deserves much closer to two stars, but I have such a huge weakness for all things Irish that I bumped it up because of that.