This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers Holy mother of AWESOMENESS! This book was so good, so fast, that I got excited about it. Like, I kept stopping in the middle to come share about how much I was loving it, and made a stop over to the author's page just to become a fan. And get more of her work to devour.

I had no intention of reading this book with any real urgency because I tend to not like zombie books all that much. There, I said it, and now you know my dark and dirty secret. What changed was going into the city and getting to visit a bookstore again. Its been so long that I kind of don't know what to do with myself there anymore, and I have gotten lazy with buying off of Amazon (because things are all in one devise I have no issues pinging between GR and Amazon to verify that I really should spend my money on something), but I saw the book sitting on their shelf and remembered Catie had loved it and decided to trust her once again. Thank God for that because otherwise I would have missed out on a fantastic book! The writing is just beautiful. Beautiful. "The sound of the dial tone steadies me, rights the earth."

"This must be what Dorothy felt like, I think. Maybe. If Dorothy was six scared teenagers and Oz was hell."

The story starts out with our main character being in a very dark place in her life. She is contemplating suicide to escape her abusive father when one morning everything changes. Sloane and 5 other teenagers manage to survive long enough to take refuge in their high school, and from there things go from bad to worse, until finally they are on the run once again.

My gripe: no epilogue!! This is a stand alone and it left off with so many possibles that I was certain I misread that it wasn't part of a series. I know there are lots of people who like to have that many possible endings that they can pick and choose from for themselves, and I would be fine with a bit of that, but I really wanted to have at least a little more resolution. Cary?

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves tactile writing, zombies, tension, heart, and that magic spark that comes from realizing you're in for a treat no matter what.