On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta I actually have anxiety about writing this review because I am the only person who wasn't bowled over by this. I've been putting this off all day long.

I'm not sure why this missed the mark for me when so many others adored it, and I do adore her style, but this just...didn't work. I spent a lot of time being confused and trying to keep the 5 separate in my mind and who was who, and who did what, and why it should matter so much, but it was tiresome. I thought that it was choppy and I wasn't satisfied with the information I was given about anyone. I spent the majority of the book just seeing the words on the page, but there were a couple times I did tear up. I just wanted more of the way she wrote Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles so that I could be so immersed in the story that I forgot everything else.

I don't know what to say about this really. I'm too tired to put any real effort into it, and since there are nothing but glowing reviews I'm sure it was just me. I plan on reading it again sometime to see if it makes better sense, and maybe I'll be able to connect much stronger to Taylor and Jonah than I did this time around.