The Thief - Megan Whalen Turner
It says something about how much YA I've been reading when in the opening of this book I kept thinking I was reading about a badass teenage female who was waiting to kick the ass of the guards. I even thought the male reference was just her being sneaky. Yes, it's true. Branching out is needed again, lol. Clearly.

I was a little confused about how I felt about this book for a while, because on one hand I loved Gen (even though I'm much more used to hard males than whiny ones lol), and on the other it felt kind of slow and a bit boring. I liked the tales that the Magus and Gen told, but the use of the God's names in the story sometimes confused me and made me think I'd forgotten a character. There's one of them that did it damn near every time I saw it, but I can't think of which one now. I liked the characters, or liked disliking them, and I think that the author did a great job even though I wasn't blown away. Actually, I got confused in the end about the thickness of the plot. Was Gen the queen's brother, or had he already been the Queen's Thief prior, or did he become the Queen's Thief because of it? And how is it that the Magus wasn't worried about the King beheading him for not returning with the stone? I thought the King wanted the Queen of Attolia not the Queen of Eddis. I'd like to blame my pain meds for the confusion last night, but I think it was perhaps just that after such a slow pace suddenly there was all these revelations. Maybe.

I've heard great things about the next book in the series, and I'm really looking forward to reading it.