The Hallowed Ones - Laura Bickle

Looks about right.

I absolutely loved this book! I haven't felt a really good connection to anyone in a while, and not because I haven't read some good books recently (The 5th Wave, and Not a Drop to Drink come to mind), but even with those two I didn't get that instant pull I want. You know what I mean.

The story is about an Amish girl named Katie who witnesses the zombie apocalypse. Wait don't go!! Hear me out first. Now, I know you might be thinking that yet another zombie book isn't going to be special, but it is! I'm not a big fan of zombie books at all actually, and I think it's safe to say I've read no more than 5, if that, so I put this one off for a long time, and what a disservice it was to put this book off! Don't make my mistake.

[a:Laura Bickle|2964564|Laura Bickle|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1297811577p2/2964564.jpg] can write, and tell, a helluva story folks. I've always been fascinated by the Amish; I wish I could be more self reliant like them, and reading this book made it feel like I was experiencing the real Amish way of life. I can't say that everything was accurate, but it felt true. I will be reading everything that comes out for this series, as well as checking out her other works. She just got herself a fangirl.

Our protagonist is Katie, like I was saying, and she is one strong young woman! There is no damsel in distress here, this chick is brave...and sometimes foolish, lol. There's a time for bravery and time to hide under the covers girl! It all started with a helicopter crash in their corn field, and she saw something unnatural in the wreckage. Shortly thereafter she finds a man wounded outside of their fence and the Elders refuse to help him since they're afraid of what's happening on the Outside. Katie makes some difficult choices and in the end, they change her whole future. I absolutely adore this girl.

I did not want to lie down and wait for death like Ginger and the others, with their veil of ignorance drawn around them and surrendering their will to live to others.
I wanted my life to matter.
And I wanted to choose how it mattered.

Katie is not the only character here that I can't get enough of. Every single person was fully realized and came to matter to me, whether I disliked them or not, they became part of my world. Elijah, Alex, Ginger, and their families. I teared up a few times while seeing the pain that Ginger was in, and found myself glaring at the Kindle when the Elders were pissing me off. I can't say enough about how great this book was for me.

This is a story about love, friendship, survival, and freedom. It's a story about accepting yourself, and your own power, and overcoming insurmountable obstacles to do what you feel is right. I highly recommended this to anyone who would enjoy such stories.