Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee Whuh. That was the sound I made as I read the last sentence of this book. That, and a whole lotta-- !!!!!!! -- that.

This is one of those crazy good books that I will be re-reading many times over in tense anticipation of the next installment. What a ride! The story is about a girl who teams up with the enemy to save her sister in a post-apocalyptic world. Sounds familiar yes? Well, this time the story goes miles beyond most others by giving us a taste of what horrors such a place might really hold. Eating cat food? Well if I was truly starving then I can't say I wouldn't. There is no sudden love in between the male and female either, and in fact, the author does an amazing job of showing the conflict that Penryn feels at being partners with Raffe. The world building is perfect in that way that if there was too much explanation it wouldn't feel as true, and beautiful prose abound.

The opening paragraph for instance: "Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious. Outside our condo window, the sky flames like a bruised mango in vivid orange, reds, and purples. The clouds catch fire with sunset colors, and I'm almost scared those of us caught below will catch on fire too."

This story is quite gruesome but it did not detract from the telling at all, instead it showed an unflinching view of what the world Ee brought to life was really like. Sometimes I feel that authors will slide in gruesome details merely to shock, and not at all to add substance to the story. This novel was crazy, and shocking, in all the ways that an amazing story should be. Gritty, scary, painful, funny, and thrilling, this is one story that begs to be read again and again and with it being practically free there is no excuse to not treat yourself to such a ride as Angelfall.