The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness Ok, words are failing me at the moment so this won't be the best review ever written. :)

I had a hard time putting this book down, but yet I didn't like it, and that's almost never happened. I thought about adding a star for that reason alone, but in the end I just couldn't do it.

I was properly horrified by what it would be like to live in a world with Noise. Good grief, that was just....well, horrifying. I felt for Todd at first since it was clear he was lonely and it would be really hard to be so alone in a place like that. Then he quickly got on my nerves. He did crack me up with his view of Manchee at first though. I feel that way about my dogs a lot, so I totally related. They get on my nerves, but I love them.

I didn't like how chaotic the narrative was either, even though I can see how it was part of the story. Plot devise? I got it, but I still wanted to have a little more information with things. Like what the hell was it that Ben showed him about becoming a man?! I thought it might be something more like rape since it was so horrible Todd couldn't even put words to it. Not that murder is a good thing, but I just didn't see it with the same horror that Todd did. Besides, how does learning hate--which in that kind of life I can't see how these boys weren't feeling it before they turned 13 anyway--suddenly make it to where they are willing to rape and pillage?! I didn't believe anything from this book, and I love this genre so it's not as though I expect plausibility, or realism, in everything I read, but I expect to be able to believe what the author wants me to believe. Did I make sense with this?

What in the name of God was with Aaron?! I mean really. And the bit with Manchee made me cry.

I thought the climax was also pretty crappy. What was all this crap about hope when the odds against them were practically comical?! And why in the hell was Ben brought back just to die again 5 seconds later?!. There was no reward in this story. Even the purpose of getting Todd was illogical to me. The men could do all that damage, but they needed one boy in order to do it? And they didn't even have him until it was all done?!

I don't know. I just felt like I was slogging through one thing after another, and with little to no understanding as to why, and then not caring. Part of me wants to read the next book, but that's solely because of that blasted cliffhanger that we get left with here.