Ashfall - Mike Mullin 4.5 Stars

I loved...and hated this book. This reminded me of [b:Life As We Knew It|213753|Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1)|Susan Beth Pfeffer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328012816s/213753.jpg|206925] only better.

Hated it because these are the kind of books that speak to my personal fears. If I were to be a prepper it would be for a natural disaster scenario, lol. It's like this Mayan dust up we have right now. I don't believe in it. Then I read this and think about how Alex was separated from his family, and I totally catch myself thinking about how I'm sending the kids to school that day (because I don't believe anything will happen) and then what a dick I would feel like should I be proved wrong, lol. Then what. Le sigh. Stupid book making me think of all the horrible things I don't want to think about.

The story is told from 15 year-old Alex's POV, and the only minor complaint I have with this is that sometimes he didn't read like a 15-16 year-old boy. It was only a few times, and each time it was only a word choice, but twice I wasn't even sure what the word meant (thank you Kindle, lol) and I didn't believe it from a 16 y/o male. Again, this was very much a minor complaint and didn't detract from the story at all. In fact, as the book progressed it added depth to his character and showed his steady maturity. The entirety of the book was really well written, completely believable, and absolutely engrossing. I couldn't put it down.

I loved Alex, and I loved Darla, even though once in a while it did seem like she was too MacGyver for a normal girl (even with her rural upbringing I mean). I loved Darla's mom, and actually teared up at one point in her part of the story, and I loved how Alex recognized the value of his own mother during his trek. Only 13% into it and he has this epiphany:

Lately I'd been so consumed with fighting with Mom that it never occurred to me what my life might be like without her. Without Dad's benevolent disinterest. Without the brat, my sister. Who would I be, if they were all gone?

Read this.