The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2) - Laura Bickle

More like a good 3 1/2 stars. I'm taking off a star because Khanh's review reminded me how much I was glossing over in trying to get this book to be as good as the first. My new rating is 2 1/2 stars.

I was completely blown away from the first book in this series, duology?, and it's not that I didn't really like this one, it's just not as amazing for me. It's weird because it felt slower even though there was more vampire action.

Veering slightly off course for a second, I should say that I enjoyed the humor that was in the story. There isn't tons of it, but it's well placed. Like Alex making a joke about description and Katie not getting it, lol.

I called it the zombie apocalypse in my first review, because these vampires are so much closer to what I envision zombies should be like. They're old-school vamps, and I love it, even if I still think of them as zombies. Whatever. Stop judging me.

The story picks up a few weeks after Katie, Ginger, and Alex were thrown out of Katie's Amish home, and we're immediately treated to fighting alongside her as she battles some vampires. Katie isn't the same girl she was when we first met her, and I really enjoyed her evolution; it felt authentic to her character. She maintained her Amish roots, even as she did a great deal of questioning of her faith, and in the end she stayed true to herself which I appreciated. In fact, many of the questions she raised were ones I've thought myself. She and Alex have a very sweet, if a bit boring, relationship and Alex proved himself worthy of being one of the last men on earth repeatedly. "That's not what I mean. I mean...you just agree to submit to my authority. Is that something that you're doing just because I'm a man? Having a penis doesn't make me infallible." He rubbed his hands through his hair, and I could see his Adam's apple bob as he was trying not to cry.

To surmise my point, this is a great duology, the writing is subtle and deep, the characters are grey, the situation immediate, and the story engrossing.