Into the Still Blue - Veronica Rossi

I keep going between three and four stars, but I'm going to round up since I have this inability to not rate as a series (if it's the last book).

Usually.

It just happens that this is one of my most favorites so I'm rounding up. I have no self control.

I'm not sure how satisfied I am honestly. It's not that this wasn't good, I mean, it's Veronica Rossi - oh wait - I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to mention the author anymore. Uhm, it's the same characters I adore, and they're still just as fabulous as always, but there was just something missing somehow. The synopsis says, "In this final book in her stunning Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close." But, and I'm sure I'll be in the minority, this didn't feel unforgettable. It felt a bit rushed and loose. There were a lot of things going on, but I feel like I was only on the surface of them. The way the climax happened was very anticlimactic, the way we find out if Cinder can even help is leaving me frustrated, and basically, I feel like I didn't get to go as deep into everything as I have in the first two books. As I said, I'm sure there won't be many who feel the same way I do, because this isn't a bad book by any stretch of the imagination, it's just not as much as I was hoping for as the final book in such an amazing story. I'm hoping that we'll get more of these people, even just mentions, in future stories because I adore them.

/unpopular opinion.

Actually, one of my favorite things about these characters are their relationships. The bonds between everyone are written so perfectly that I can't help but be in awe of Ross--oops, dangit. I think of these relationships as having the same power over me that only a few favorite characters do - they just fit, and I love them. I'll never forget my surprise when I realized that Roar and Aria were going to actually just be friends. And best friends at that. They don't suffer from any weirdness between the two of them like so many other "friends" I read about, and I relish their moments together. I don't want them to be a couple. I just want to be their friend and have that same closeness. The bonds between all of these people is what I feel to be the greatest strength of these novels.

Since I'm feeling beyond angry at this site right now, and don't want to waste my time writing a review that could, and should apparently, be flagged for mentioning the author, I'll leave you with some of my favorite quotes, because fabulous series is (still) fabulous. *Quotes are subject to change in the final version*
Perry had never understood that phrase not to mention. It was mentioned.

"What did you find out?" She asked.
"That I'm unstoppable. And indispen--"
"Soren."
"Oh, you mean about the plan?"

His things already felt like they were hers, and his shirts were more than mere shirts. Maybe she was losing her mind, but they meant something to her just because they were his.

Aria loved knowing his thoughts. With every one she learned, she fell for him more deeply. It was the best kind of falling, and she wondered if it would ever end.

She wanted to firm her grip, to create an unbreakable grasp that would keep him close forever, but he'd chosen a path. And though she ached to stop him, she wouldn't.

"I wasn't worried," Soren said. "I just felt like hitting somebody when he did."

Roar laughed. "What can I say? I'm just good at most things."